Monday, August 10, 2009

Tofu and Toddlers


Having a two year old, keeping cooking exciting can be a challenge. Being vegetarian, I want to introduce my son to as many flavors and varieties of foods as I can. To make things worse, I am temporarily in Alabama, cooking for people who are a bit suspicious of vegetarians. So far I have been able to get my parents to eat some stir fries with tofu, and actually like them.

So here begins my varied experiments with some picky eaters.


I tried this eggplant, basil and tofu dish and loved it. Mom loved it. My son liked the rice and bland uncooked tofu.


Here it is...taken from myrecipes.com

Time: 25 minutes.
Yield
Serves 4
Ingredients
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 package (18 oz.) firm tofu, drained, cut into 1 1/2- by 2-in. chunks
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound eggplant, cut into 1- by 3-in. strips
1 small red or green bell pepper, cut into 1-in. pieces
1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
Preparation
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick frying pan over high heat, add tofu, and gently cook, turning tofu occasionally, until browned slightly, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer tofu to a plate.
2. Cook garlic, eggplant, and bell pepper in pan until softened, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Add soy sauce, sugar, and oyster sauce and cook until heated through, another 2 minutes. Return tofu to pan and gently stir to coat. Remove from heat and stir in basil leaves. Serve over rice.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Nutritional Information
Calories:
263 (55% from fat)
Protein:
14g
Fat:
16g (sat 2.4)
Carbohydrate:
21g
Fiber:
3.3g
Sodium:
1170mg
Cholesterol:
0.0mg

No comments:

Post a Comment